Friday, October 2, 2009

Getting Ready

Well there are 2 and a half weeks left until I leave and the closer it gets the more nervous I get. I'm working on making sure I have everything I need and that it fits in my bags. The luggage limit is annoying but I'm trying to make it work. I finished working on Tuesday and now the rest of my time will be spent with friends and family. Lately I find it interesting to talk to people in LA doing study abroad and listening to their coping techniques for being a foreigner with no friends, trying to speak a language that they are still learning. Thankfully the way Peace Corps sets it up I wont be completely friendless when I arrive and most of our group has actually already introduced themselves to one another. It is still going to be a major adjustment so I'm mostly trying to mentally prepare myself. I just purchased Settlers of Catan to bring with me so that is pretty good insurance on my mental health. Now I just need to learn the Hausa and Zarma words for Wood, Brick, Ore, and Sheep and I'll be ready to go.

3 comments:

  1. do you already have the word for grain down? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need some sheep, care to trade??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dami means bundle of grain in Hausa.

    Also will trade sheep for brick or wood, I need to build some roads, right now my settlements don't seem to connect...Niger is just too far from So Cal.

    ReplyDelete