Friday, April 23, 2010

Mampagetra

Mampagetra: to cause to fart, to make gasy. For a culture that is called Malagasy, and call themselves "Gasy" this seems an appropriate word to start out with this time. In the South East region of the country, most people eat bread fruit for lunch when it is in season. While nutritionally pointless other than some fiber, it does cause extreme gas. This means that all the kids who come visit me know that I dont eat a lot of bread fruit as I don't want to fart a lot. We have a general understanding that I also don't want people farting inside my house. Many hilarious conversations have followed one of the "bread fruit incidents".

Diet!
If you want to lose weight in a way that is fast, safe, and easy...quite simply it doesn't exist. If, however, you have 27 months to spare, are willing to work for free, and eat only what is seasonally available in your region, you'll probably drop a few extra lbs. Now that I've been out of country 6 months, I've lost a bit over 20 lbs, gained quite a bit of muscle, and am in decent shape. All I needed to do was work for hours in rice fields, gardens, haul manure, and bike or walk everywhere! The foods that are available right now are: potatoes (imported from other parts of the country), leeks, onions, tomatoes, garlic, green onions, avocados, limes, oranges, bread fruit, jack fruit, jaky, carrots, cucumbers, squash, rice, beans, peanuts, pasta, cabbage, chilies, and eggs. Comebine this with almost no fat intake other than a bit of oil for cooking and voila! I mean, I got anemic within a couple months, but who cares about that when you're thin?

Vazaha:
On that note, after being called vazaha (white, foreign person) for 5 months, I'm finally becoming white! Who knows why but I'm developing white spots (I call them anti-freckles) on my shoulders. The kids say they arent a big deal and other people in my village have them but I'm calling the doctor. I noticed them this week and the skin looks normal and healthy but unpigmented...

No comments:

Post a Comment